- 6 Videos
- 1 Quiz
- 1 Survey
- 1 Text
- 2.0 hrs
High-performance homes are assumed to be expensive and complicated but as you will see in this course, better-built homes can be designed and constructed so they are a viable and affordable option for homeowners considering a custom home. HAVAN member JDL Homes Vancouver is currently building a Step 5 NetZero Ready Home in Burnaby, and as a case study for other builders, will be sharing the project goals, processes, pathway, systems, design philosophy and costs, which has enabled them to build this custom high-performance home at a more affordable cost.
This case study explores different pathways and philosophies when it comes to designing and building high-performance homes, giving builders insights into methodologies and systems which they may wish to incorporate into their own construction projects.
- Challenges and opportunities of building to Step 5 NetZero Ready
- Design solutions to achieve high-performance built with a more affordable budget
- Systems and technology to achieve Step 5 energy requirements
- How to approach high-performance building with homeowner clients
Approved for 2.0 CPDs in Construction Technology
Note: If you have already taken this course, repeating it online will not qualify for additional CPD points.
Doug Langford, Principal and Project Manager, JDL Homes Vancouver
- Overall project scope and objectives
- Homeowner dialogue and approach to a building a Step 5 custom home
- Costing of the project (including utilizing grants)
- Working with the city (permitting/inspections)
Jeff Langford, Principal and Site Superintendent, JDL Homes Vancouver
- Technical side of the build, including ICF and SIPs.
- Challenges and opportunities with this high-performance home build
Anna Pang, Designer and Project Coordinator, JDL Homes Vancouver
- Design considerations
- Challenges and opportunities with this high-performance home design
Julio Reynel-Gracia, President, JRG Engineering Inc.
- Energy consumption and envelope design – bringing the pieces together at the start of the design stage to create a Step 5 NetZero Ready design