Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need to be a HAVAN member to take the online courses?
- No, anyone can take HAVAN’s online courses, but there is a discount for HAVAN members. If you are interested in becoming a member and taking advantage of discounts, we’d be happy to help!
- HAVAN's courses are developed for the homebuilding industry (vs. consumers).
2. Do I need to create a user profile?
- Yes, you are required to complete an online user profile so your course enrolments and progress can be tracked, and completion certificates can be generated for you. Note: the profile is for a person, not a company.
3. If I cannot complete a pre-recorded course within one sitting, will my progress through the course be saved or do I have to start from the beginning?
- When you go through the course, your progress will be saved, so you can leave the session and then return where you last left off. Your student dashboard will display the courses you have purchased and the progress through each one.
4. How long do I have access to the course once I’ve paid for it?
- You have three months to complete the course before it expires. Once it expires and you have not completed/started the course, you will need to re-purchase the course to complete it.
- As the residential construction industry is constantly changing, all courses will be reviewed annually to ensure content is still current. Any courses that are no longer applicable will be removed from the site – if you have already started the course, you will be given two weeks’ notice that the course will be taken down so you have until that time to complete the course for credits.
5. I’m a builder in B.C. and I need to earn Continuing Professional Development (CPD) credits. Do the online courses provide CPD points?
- Yes, most courses on this site have been approved by BC Housing for CPD points. Each course will specify how many points it is worth, remembering that for informal learning (no formal examination process), one instruction hour is worth one CPD.
- You can search by topics to find a topic of interest to you.
- As many of our eLearn courses were previously presented live, you can only take the course once for CPD credit. Either claim credit for the in-class OR the online version, but not both. (e.g. A course is worth 2.0 points, whether you go to the in-class session, view it online, or both).
6. I’m an employer and planning to have my employees take the online courses. Can I register them all under one company profile?
- No, each user needs to create/have their own profile. However, if 3 or more people from your company want to take the same course, we offer 25% off. Email us for your discount code.
7. As an employer, can I track the activities of my employees that are taking the courses?
- Yes, you can request a progress report from HAVAN.
8. I purchased/attended one of the in-person courses and the recording of the session has been posted online. Do I have to pay for the course again to view the online recording?
- No, when you take an in-class course, you can request a coupon code that will grant you complimentary access to the online version for one month after it is posted online. After one month, your coupon will expire and you will have to pay to view the course online in the future.
9. Are there payment options other than credit card for the online courses?
- No, as the online courses are on-demand (access when it’s convenient to you), payment is required before you can access the course. HAVAN accepts these major credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
10. I’m looking for a specific course topic but I don’t see it on your site. Are you open to feedback on course topics?
- Of course! HAVAN’s eLearn is new so we are constantly looking to add to our online content – send us an email with any suggestions you may have about a future webinar or pre-recorded session. We’d love to hear from you.
11. I finished the course, how come it is not 100% complete?
- In order for your course to be deemed 100% complete (and to then receive your completion certificate), all chapters and checkpoints listed down the left hand sidebar must have a green check mark beside it. Ensure you watch every video to the end, and then clicked the green ‘NEXT’ button on the bottom right hand corner to advance to the next section.
12. How come I haven't received a certificate?
- In order to receive your certificate, your course progress must read 100% complete. See question #11 above.
- You will be sent your certificate within 3-5 business days once your course progress has been verified as complete. If there is an issue concerning your progress through the course, HAVAN will contact you before the certificate is released.
13. Do your prices include tax?
- Yes, the listed price is all you will be charged as it already includes 5% GST. For your records, our GST# is 102183316. If you require a broken down invoice, please email us.
14. Do you offer refunds?
- No, at this time we do not offer any refunds.
If you did not find the answer to your question above, please email us and we'd be happy to help.