It's been talked about for years and now it's officially here - The Energy Step Code comes into effect on May 1, 2023, meaning building code changes enable 20% better energy efficiency, as well, there is an opt-in Zero Carbon Step Code available for local governments to reference. Many municipalities are already requiring Step 3 or higher but everyone is still navigating to find the most effective and efficient pathway forward - one that produces a home that addresses the mandated metrics, is financially viable, and meets homeowners' expectations.
This course features a panel of four speakers bringing together their high-performance expertise on Energy Step Code to help builders and designers understand the complexities of the multi-layer requirements as you move to Step 3 and beyond.
- Hugo Wong, Senior Policy Analyst, Building and Safety Standards Branch Ministry of Housing
- Elisabeth Baudinaud, Principal, Carbon Wise
- Kathy Yuen, President, Phase One Design
- Chris Hill, President and Partner, B Collective Homes Inc.
Join the conversation to learn strategies, processes. options and lessons learned when building higher performance homes, not just to step 3.
During the course, the speakers will discuss:
- What’s coming on May 1, 2023
- Code changes for new Part 9 buildings
- Code changes for new Part 3 buildings
- Lower Mainland Step Code and Zero Carbon Step Code implementation overview (who is doing what and when)
- Example of meeting Step 3 in different climate zones
- Case Study of the 2032 home
- Energy upgrades to meet Step 3 and Zero Carbon and associated costs
- Change is coming and this is a big exercise in change management.
- Challenges and opportunities with the new code and change
- Integrated design process - sounds great but how does this actually work in residential construction
- If you follow the plan, airtight is the only thing that matters in a performance-based approach in regards to construction
Approved for 1.5 CPDs in Construction Technology
Note: If you have already taken this course, repeating it online will not qualify for additional CPD points.
Thank you to our Sponsors:
Presenting Sponsor: FortisBC
Patron Sponsor: BC Housing
Before You Get Started
Agreement to HAVAN Academic Integrity Policy
Declaration of Completed Work Assignment